We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Amish White Bread is a slightly sweet, fine-textured, yeasty bread. It is easy to prepare and is equally awesome as a side, toasted or in a sandwich. Amish White Bread slices and freezes well.
Amish White Yeast Bread Recipe
- Bread Pans
- Instant Read Thermometer
- 1-1/4 c milk heated to 110 degrees
- 3/4 c water heated to 110 degrees
- 2/3 c sugar
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast 2 packets
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 5-1/4 c bread flour
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Ingredients for Amish White Bread
- Dissolve the warm milk, warm sugar, yeast and ginger in mixing bowl of table top mixer. Stir lightly and allow to sit until the liquid becomes foamy (about 10 minutes.)
- With a hand whisk, stir in 1 cup of flour.
- Add the salt and 4 tbsp. melted butter and mix well.
- Attach bread hook to mixer and add flour, one cup at a time until dough ball forms.
- Continue to mix with dough hook for approx. 5 minutes.
- Remove dough ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or clean dish towel and allow to rise until double in size.
- When doubled in size, punch dough down and remove to lightly floured surface.
- Knead by hand for several minutes to remove air bubbles.
- Divide dough in half and shape into loaves. Place in greased pans, cover and let rise until about 1-1/2 inches above rim when looking at center of loaf.
- Bake on center rack of a 350 degree oven for approx. 30 minutes. You can check doneness by lightly tapping on the top of loaf. It will sound hollow when it is done.
- Cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then remove from pan to wire rack and cool completely before slicing.