We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Banana Muffin Tops are the best part of banana muffins. So, why not just make the tops??? These Banana Muffin Tops are sweet, moist and filled with chocolate chips. Perfect for dessert, breakfast or snack time. Just the right size.
These banana muffin tops are sweet and moist with a slightly crispy crust on the outside for a wonderful bite of awesomeness.
What Ingredients are in Banana Muffin Tops?
- butter- softened Use real butter for the best flavor.
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- eggs – bring to room temperature
- very ripe bananas – mashed
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- chocolate chips – You can use the chip of your choice, either semi sweet or milk chocolate.
Facts and Tips for Banana Muffin Tops
Can I substitute all white or all brown sugar for the half and half on the sugars for banana muffin tops?
Yes, you may use all one kind of the sugars. Brown sugar is a bit sweeter and adds to the flavor of these muffins.
Can I substitute regular whole milk or 2% milk for the buttermilk for banana chocolate chip muffin tops?
Whole milk or 2% milk may be used instead of the buttermilk. I do think the buttermilk adds a bit of a tang and moistness to the muffins. Another option is to use whole milk and add a tablespoon of white vinegar to the milk.
Suggested Additions and Substitutions
The possible additions are only limited by your imagination. These banana bread muffin tops adapt well to add-ons. Try these:
- Dried Fruits, such as cranberries, raisins, peaches, apples.
- Chopped Nuts, such as walnuts, pecans or almonds.
- White chocolate or butterscotch chips
How to Make Banana Muffin Tops
- Cream the sugars and butter
- Mix in eggs, buttermilk vanilla extract and bananas
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking soda
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Fill Muffin top pans 3/4 full (You can use a cookie sheet, but these muffin top pans make perfect muffin tops. Great for whoopie pies too!
Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 15 minutes.
What to Serve With Banana Muffin Tops
- Carrabbas Chicken Bryan Copycat Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Recipe
- Instant Pot Hot Chocolate Cheesecake With Marshmallow Topping
- Banana Milk
How to Store Muffin Tops
These sweet treats can be made ahead and frozen until you are ready to serve which makes them ideal for a party. Freeze in a single layer in an airtight container for about 3 months. When ready to serve, simply take out of the freezer and thaw. They can be reheated in the microwave if you like.
They can also be stored, covered, on your countertop for about 3 days or in the refrigerator, covered for
Recipe for Banana Muffin Tops With Chocolate Chips
Banana Muffin Tops With Chocolate Chips
- muffin top pans or cookie sheet
- ½ c butter (softened)
- ½ c granulated sugar
- ½ c light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 lg eggs
- ⅓ c buttermilk (room temperature)
- 1⅓ c mashed bananas (very ripe)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅔ c mini chocolate chips (either milk or semi-sweet)
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Spray your muffin top pans or cookie sheet with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and creamy.
- Mix in the eggs, bananas, vanilla extract and buttermilk until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir by hand until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin top cups ¾ full. (if using a cookie sheet, drop 1-2 tablespoonfuls of batter, depending on the size you want, to make each top.)
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for approx. 15-minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin top comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans for 10-minutes, then place pans on a cooling rack to cool completely.
**If you try this Banana Muffin Tops recipe, please come back and let us know how you like it.