We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Banana Pumpkin Muffins are the perfect Fall dessert. They are just as good for a breakfast treat. These moist, spicy muffins, topped with a buttery streusel, are also easy to make.
Ingredients Needed to Make Banana Pumpkin Muffins With Streusel Topping
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- baking soda
- canned pumpkin
- very ripe bananas
- vanilla extract
- rolled oats
Chances are really good that you already have the ingredients to make these Pumpkin Banana Muffins on hand. If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, you can mix a tablespoon of white vinegar into regular milk as a substitute.
How to Make Banana Pumpkin Muffins
- Combine all wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir by hand to combine. Do not use a mixer as that will cause the muffins to be tough.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Combine streusel ingredients.
- Top muffin batter with streusel and bake at 350 degrees for approx. 30 minutes.
Banana Pumpkin Muffins
- Texas muffin pan
- 2 c all-purpose flour (softened)
- 1½ c light brown sugar (packed down)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 2 lg eggs
- ⅓ c buttermilk
- 1 c pumpkin (be sure to use plain pumpkin, not pie filling)
- ⅔ c mashed bananas (very ripe)
- ¼ c butter (softened)
- 1¾ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ c rolled oats
- ⅛ c brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter (cold and diced into small pieces)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 6-hole Texas Muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, bananas, pumpkin, butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Set aside while making topping.
- For streusel topping, combine oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut butter into dry ingredients until crumbly.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full, sprinkle with streusel topping and bake on center rack of the oven for approx. 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
These spicy-sweet muffins are great spread with butter or cream cheese. Make a double batch and freeze some for a quick breakfast treat when time-crunched. These are baked in a Texas Muffin Pan but try a batch in a regular-sized muffin pan or even as mini muffins. The mini muffins make the perfect size for an after school snack for the kids. or, put several into their lunch boxes. Whenever you choose to serve them, your family will be asking for more.