We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
We’ve all been there. Had a busy day and we just want to push the unfolded laundry aside and collapse on the sofa with a nice glass of wine. Maybe a short nap before tackling the cluttered mess we’ve been avoiding all week.
Then…..the call comes. A family member or old friend is in town and they’ll be stopping by, in about 30 MINUTES!!! Panic sets in for those like myself, who live, shall we say, casually? Now, don’t get me wrong; I would love to live clutter-free and always ready for guests but that is just not happening. However, I have learned how to go into clean-sweep mode and save the day. Your home may not be legit clean but you can fake a clean house pretty well. Exactly how do you fake a clean home quickly?
First Tip To Fake A Clean Home – Create An Aroma Experience
The first thing your guest will notice will likely be what your home smells like. Have an arsenal of fragrance experiences on hand to pull out at this moment.
Plug in air fresheners in several rooms. Doing this first will give them time to work their magic before your company arrives. A spray odor eliminator is also helpful to have on hand, especially if you have pets. Your pet-loving friends likely will not mind the odoriferous presence of your pets but those without pets will.
Pick Your Battles When Working To Clean Up Your Home Quickly
Unless you’ve recently moved and your visitor is dying to see your new home, you really only need to concentrate on cleaning select areas. If you have an open floor plan, determine what areas are within eyesight. If, your rooms are separated, which rooms are likely to be seen? In most cases, you will need to concentrate on the living room, kitchen and guest bath.
Corral the Living Room Clutter
Baskets are your friend when it comes to decluttering and faking a clean house. Plan ahead and have a good number of baskets in various sizes to stash the mounds of clutter that seems to gravitate to every surface in your home.
- Toss any magazines and books into one of your baskets. This basket can even be placed beside a chair, as if you are reading.
- If any clothing is tossed on your furniture, simply grab them up and stash in your bedroom until the guests are gone.
- Toys, either kids or dogs, can be put into a basket and also left in the living room. It still will look like you live there, just not so messily.
- Use a dusting wand or a damp microfiber cloth to wipe surfaces, such as tables, TVs or leather furniture.
- If you have time, give any upholstered furniture a quick vacuuming. If not, use a lint roller to remove any pet hair or crumbs the kids have left behind.
- Fluff and plump toss pillows.
Vacuum or sweep the room last. Start in a corner and work out toward the center. The very best thing to use for this purpose is a cordless vacuum. Lightweight and quick to grab. You won’t need to worry about plugging it in, tripping over or sweeping over the cord or re-plugging if the cord is not long enough. I love the Dyson Animal Cordless Vacuum.
Pick UP, Clear Out and Wipe Down The Kitchen
Counters are the biggest culprit when it comes to making your kitchen look cluttered and messy. Eliminating that clutter will be a huge improvement.
- Quickly throw away any trash and junk mail.
- Toss any mail you are unsure or into a drawer. You can go back later and sort.
- Remove any items from the counters that do not belong there, such as: small appliances you don’t use daily, breads, food items that were left out, etc. Essentially, all flat surfaces should be sparse.
- Load the dishwasher and start it if you have time. This helps to make it seem like you have been productive.
- Wipe counters with a sponge or disinfectant wipe.
- Spray and wipe the refrigerator, stove and dishwasher surfaces with a non-streak cleaner.
- Do a quick sweep of the floor to remove any crumbs or dust.
Eliminating clutter, wiping surfaces and sweeping the floor will make your kitchen appear to be spic and span clean and uncluttered.
Quick Clean Your Guest Bath
- Using a disinfecting wipe or sponge, wipe down all surfaces, including: sink and toilet top and seat.
- Clean mirror with glass cleaner.
- Replace toilet tissue, soaps and towels if needed.
- Run the dust mop or cordless vacuum quickly over the floor if needed.
Faking a clean home can be achieved in a speedy manner if you have the appropriate items on hand to help.
- Make sure you have a good vacuum, lightweight and preferably cordless.
- Keep a supply of disinfectant wipes, sponges, glass cleaners, air fresheners and dusting wands on hand.
- Buy an assortment of pretty, various size baskets to stash items in. Also adds a nice decor touch.
Now relax. Breathe. You’ve got this. Put the teapot or coffee on and pull some cookies from your stash. A host that is happy and is genuinely happy to see their guests is what your company will remember the most. If a dust bunny happens to hop from under the sofa, just kick it back in and smile.
What’s your best tip for quickly presenting a clean house? Would love to know!