We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Starbucks Grilled Cheese is undoubtablly one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches around. Well we have managed to creat a copycat version of their delicious grilled cheese that you can make at home and for far less cost. It has the same melty delicious cheesy goodness on the inside of a buttery crispy sandwich of sourdough bread.
It has a three different kinds of cheese, a blend of white cheddar, a Parmesan butter mixture and Mozzarella.
Most of us grew up eating grilled cheese, usually served with a steaming mug of tomato soup. And, most of the time, that grilled cheese was simply some buttered white bread, grilled or toasted with a slice of American cheese on the inside. And we loved it!
As adults we expect more. This delicious Starbucks three-cheese blend grilled cheese takes grilled cheese to a whole new level. It is simply the best crispy grilled cheese sandwich. Still easy and quick to make and only has five ingredients. If you enjoy trying copycat recipes, check out our Carrabbas Chicken Bryan Copycat Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Recipe, The Best Cracker Barrel Meatloaf Recipe Copycat or Instant Pot Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Cheesy Goodness.
IN A HURRY? CLICK ON THESE LINKS TO TAKE YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.
Why You Will Love This Grilled Cheese
- Super easy to make – Comes together in about 20 minutes, start to first delicious bite.
- Only 5 ingredients
- No need to make a trip to Starbucks when you are hit with your cheese cravings
- Budget-friendly – You could feed your family for about the cost of buying the Starbucks Grilled Cheese.
What is the reason Starbucks Grilled Cheese is so good
The secret, if there is one is that the bread grills up so crispy and the cheese is so melty good. The parmesan cheese mixed with the butter creates a base that when grilled, becomes so buttery crisp. The two cheeses melt up into just a melted puddle of pull apart gooiness. As you watch the cheese start to melt between the toasted bread, it slowly peaks out from the two slices of bread and you can hardly wait to bite into it.
Ingredients You Need to Make Copycat Starbucks Grilled Cheese
- Sourdough Bread – I feel that this is the best bread to use because it adds that extra flavor that only sourdough has.
- Cheese – The two cheeses we use for the inside of our Starbucks Grilled Cheese are Mozzarella and white cheddar. Both of these cheeses melt really well. Mozzarella is known for its pull apart stretch and a milder flavor. White Cheddar has a really nice tang that pairs well with the milder Mozzarella.
- Butter – Use a good real butter. No fake butter for this sandwich! You can use either salted or unsalted butter.
- Parmesan Cheese – When mixed with the softened butter, Parmesan helps to allow the bread to grill up crispy and golden brown. And, the flavor is amazing!
I really love this grilled cheese sandwich just as it is and think that it is the perfect grilled cheese, but some people love to add in ingredients to make it their own. Go for it if you like. Here are some ideas:
- Some folks like to spread the bread with mayonaisse instead of butter.
- Add some sliced tomatoes, sliced red onion or roasted red peppers on the top of the mozzarella and white cheddar before topping with the second slice of bread.
- Change up the bread if you like. Try Rye, Pumpernickel or Whole Grain.
- Try a different cheese, such as Swiss, Smoked Provolone or Pepper Jack.
- Try a basil pesto spread on the inside of the grilled cheese.
What Goes Well With Grilled Cheese
Soups and salads are the perfect addition to Grilled Cheese to make a meal. Try some of these:
- Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup Quick and Easy
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup Easy Quick
- Chopped Salad
Steps to Make The Perfect Starbucks Grilled Cheese
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened butter and Parmesan Cheese.
- Spread the butter mixture over one side of each of the bread slices. This will be the bottom of the sandwich.
- Place one slice of the bread, butter side down in a skillet or on a flat top griddle.
- Place one slice of the Mozzarella Cheese and one slice of the White Cheddar Cheese onto the bread slice.
- Put the top slice of the bread on.
- Cook in a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat until the bread is a golden brown on the bottom. Check it frequently to prevent burning.
- When golden brown on the bottom, flip the grilled cheese sandwich and cook the other side until golden brown. At this time the cheeses should be nice and melty and oozing out from between the toasted sourdough bread. .
- Remove the sandwich from the heat and slice in half.
To prevent a soggy sandwich, store in a tight container in th refrigerator. When ready to eat, you can reheat in an air fryer, toaster oven or under the broiler of your oven.
Can I use different types of cheese?
Yes, you can let your cheese tastes determine the types of cheese you use for this grilled cheese copycat recipe. You might try yellow cheddar slices, a combination of mozzarella and provolone or Swiss cheese slices.
What breads work best for Starbucks grilled cheese?
I think Sourdough is the bread of choice but Rye, Pumpernickel and Whole Grain Bread works well also.
Starbucks Grilled Cheese Copycat
- stove top griddle pan
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 2 slices Mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices white cheddar cheese
- Mix together the softened butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread the butter/Parmesan mixture on one side of each slice of the bread.
- Place two slices the the bread, face down on the griddle pan.
- Place one slice of each of the cheeses on each slice of bread in the pan.
- Place the top bread slice on the sandwich.
- Cook over medium heat until golden brown on the bottom. Check frequently to prevent burning.
- When bottom slice is golden brown, flip the sandwich and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Slice in half and serve immediately while the cheese is nice and melty.