We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Bananas Foster Cheesecake is a decadently rich dessert. There’s nothing like the taste of a delicious and creamy cheesecake. It’s so rich and satisfying, you just want to keep eating more! Luckily, it’s easy to make cheesecake at home using simple ingredients that you probably already have. The next time you are craving something sweet, try making this amazing bananas foster cheesecake recipe. It only takes 20 minutes to prep and 45 minutes to bake. Your friends will think you spent all day on it!
Cheesecakes are also perfect for any occasion because they can be served either hot or cold. This particular recipe has a warm caramel sauce with sliced bananas on top that tastes like bananas Foster, an iconic New Orleans dessert. This is one of the best cheesecake recipes for any occasion. If you’d like to try some other cheesecake variations, have a look at these, Instant Pot Hot Chocolate Cheesecake With Marshmallow Topping or Best Instant Pot Salted Caramel Apple Cheesecake.
Why You Will Love This Bananas Foster Cheesecake Recipe
- Fast and easy in the instant pot
- Impressive dessert to serve to guests
- Stores well, can make ahead
Tips For Making The Best Bananas Foster Cheesecake in The Instant Pot
Make sure to bring your cream cheese, eggs and butter to room temperature. You can brings your eggs to room temperature quickly by putting them into a bowl of warm water until the chill is gone.
Use a springform cheesecake pan.
Use a parchment liner in the bottom of your springform pan to help with easy removal of the cheesecake once done. I love these liners that are already cut to size. No tracing and cutting. Just pop them in.
Run a knife around the inside of the pan before releasing the spring to help with removal.
After pouring the filling into the crust, tap the bottom of the pan on the counter several times to remove any bubbles.
What to Serve With Bananas Foster Cheesecake
- Main Dish –Easy Homemade Chicken Crepes With Asparagus
- Side – Scalloped Potatoes
- Drink – Cucumber Margarita Mocktail
Bananas Foster Cheesecake Ingredients
- Vanilla wafer crumbs – I like the vanilla wafers for this becuase it just seems to fit with the bananas better than graham cracker crumbs. Think banana pudding! Just crush regular vanilla wafers.
- Melted butter – Use real butter if possible. The taste is so much better.
- Brown sugar – I like the light brown for this. The darker sugar is a bit overpowering.
- Cream cheese – Use the block variety, no tub cream cheese. Room temperature.
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour – Used to help thicken the filling.
- Sour cream
- Banana extract
- Rum extract
- Eggs – Also room temperature. (See how to bring eggs to room temperature quickly in the tips above.
- Brown sugar
- Heavy cream
- Banana extract
- Rum extract
Variations, Additions and Substitutions
- Add about 1 cup of mashed banana into the filling.
- Sprinkle chopped cuts across the top before adding the sauce.
- Add a bit of cinnamon and or nutmeg into the filling.
How to Make Bananas Foster Cheesecake in The Instant Pot
- Line your pan with a parchment paper circle and spray lightly with a non stick baking spray.
- First, to make the crust, mix the melted butter, sugar and cookie crumbs together until the mixture resembles wet sand. Press this mixture into your prepared pan, pressing it firmly on the bottom and slightly up the sides. The bottom of a drinking glass can help with this. Place the crust in your freezer until ready to fill.
- The filling is made by combining the granulated sugar and cream cheese until fluffy. Then add and mix the sour cream, flour, banana extract, and rum extract until blended.
- Pour water into the bottom of the instant pot. Place trivet into pot.
- Pour filling into your crust. Cover with aluminum foil, sealing the edges.
- Place cheesecake on the trivet. Seal the instant pot according to your instructions that caome with the pot.
- Cook on high for 45 minutes. Allow to natural release for 10 minutes
- Remove cheesecake from instant pot and cool on wire rack.
- Last, while the cheesecake is cooling, make your topping. Heat sugar on stovetop, stirring continuously until melted. Be careful not to let it burn. Add butter and cook until melted. Cook on medium heat for one minute without stirring. Stir in heavy cream, then stop stirring and allow to boil for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in salt, rum extract and banana extract. Allow to cool.
- Arrange the sliced bananas on the top of the cheesecake. Pour topping over the top letting it run down the sides of the cheesecake.
- Cool before serving.
Storing And Freezing
Bananas Foster Cheesecake can be stored in the refrigerator, tightly covered for 3-5 days. If you would like to freeze this cheesecake, do not add the topping. The topping does not freeze well. You can always make the topping the day you want to serve the cheesecake. You can either store the whole untopped cheesecake or store it by the piece in a tightly sealed container. It does well in the freezer for about 3 months. When ready to serve, remove from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator for about 24 hours.
Can I freeze Bananas Foster Cheesecake?
You can freeze the cheesecake but leave the topping off until ready to thaw and serve.
What is Bananas Foster?
Bananas Foster was invented by a restaurant in New Orleans. I is a caramel sauce with bananas and usually contains alcohol like Rum. The sauce is typically served over ice cream and flambed.
How can I tell if my Instant Pot Cheesecake is done.
When done, the edges should be firmer and set while the center will be slightly jiggly. It will continue to set more as it cools.
Recipe For Bananas Foster Cheesecake
Bananas Foster Crust
- 1 cup vanilla wafers
- 4½ tablespoons butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 24 ounces cream cheese (3 packages at room temp.)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoons banana extract
- 1 teaspoons rum extract
- 3 large eggs (large at room temp.)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon banana extract
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup bananas (sliced)
Bananas Foster Crust
- Prepare pan by lining it with a parchment paper circle and spraying lightly with a non stick baking spray.
- Mix all ingredients together until the consistency of wet sand.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared 8- inch springform pan.
- Press into the pan and place into the freezer while making filling.
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to combine the cream cheese and sour cream together until fluffy.
- Mix in the sour cream, flour, banana extract, and rum extract until blended.
- Mix in eggs (one at a time) until blended.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Pour the filling mixture into the prepared springform pan. Cover top of pan with foil, sealing edges. Place pan on trivet and place in the Instant Pot.
- Seal lid. Set time for 45 minutes on high.
- Allow to natural release for 10-min. (should be jelly-like in the center)
- Cool on wire rack.
Banana Foster Topping
- Heat sugar over medium heat in saucepan stirring continuously until melted. Be careful to not allow to burn.
- Add butter and stir until melted and combined.
- Cook for 1 minute without stirring on medium heat.
- Slowly add heavy whipping cream and stir in. After the cream has been added stop stirring and allow to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in salt, rum extract, and banana extract.
- Let cool and add sliced bananas evenly over top.
- Pour the topping mixture over top of cheesecake and allow it to run down the sides.
- Cool before slicing.