We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
These Homemade Chicken Crepes are the perfect family meal. Filled with chicken, ricotta cheese and seasonings, they are healthy as well as delicious. Chicken crepes is a versatile recipe that allows changing it up to include your favorite veggies and seasonings. And, if that isn’t enough, this savory chicken crepes recipe is also easy and budget-friendly.
Why You Will Love This Chicken Crepes Recipe
- Easy to make
- Can be made ahead
- Freezes and stores well
- Even picky eaters love them
- Great use for leftover chicken
Equipment You Will Need For Chicken Crepes
- casserole dish
- cutting board I love these cutting mats and use them all the time. You can assign a color for each type of food so you won’t be cutting raw chicken on the same mat you use for fruit. They are also dishwasher safe and don’t take up valuable storage room.
- mixing bowl
- lemon zester Another tool I especially like and use often. This grater is used for cheese or lemons. It comes with a cover and cleaning brush.
- crepe pan You will not be sorry if you invest in a crepe pan. It makes cooking your crepes so much easier. Easy to clean too.
- crepe spatula – This wide flexible spatula works like a dream for flipping crepes or pancakes.
- saute pan Everyone needs a good saute pan. You will use it for so many things.
Ingredients for Crepes
(measurments in recipe card below)
- all-purpose flour
- milk – Can use milk of choice, either dairy or non-dairy.
- eggs – Bring eggs to room temperature,
- unsalted butter
Ingredients for Chicken Filling
(measurements in recipe card below)
- unsalted butter
- chicken breasts – cubed or shredded. Can use leftover chicken or store bought rotisserie chicken.
- ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese – grated
- parsley – chopped
- green onions – diced
- chicken broth
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
How to Zest a Lemon
Wash and dry your lemon thoroughly. Your can also spray the lemon with a white vinegar/water mixture to help remove any bacteria and wax coating. Make sure to dry thoroughly or the lemon will not zest well. Use a good lemon zester tool. Hold the zester in your non-dominant hand with the concave area facing into your bowl or surface you will be zesting onto. Hold the lemon in your dominant hand. Gently rub the lemon across the surface of the zester, turning the lemon as the yellow peel is removed. Be careful not to zest into the white area.
Once all the yellow peel is removed, you can either use the lemon right away for juice or stor it in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator. You could also squeeze the juice into a ice cube tray and freeze for later use.
How to Bring an Egg to Room Temperature to Use in Your Recipe
Many recipes call for bringing eggs to room temperature before adding to your recipe. To do this quickly, place the egg in a cup of warm water until the egg does not feel cold.
Substitutions and Add-ins
- Change out the chicken for turkey or ham. Crepes are a great tasty way to use up leftover meat from the holidays.
- Add in some dried cranberries, dried apples or dried apricots to add a bit of sweetness to your dish.
- Add some chopped walnuts, almonds or pecans for a nice crunch.
- Add in some taco seasoning for a southwest flavor or some soy sauce and diced water chestnuts for an Asian touch.
- You can choose to not have a savory filling if you like. Try filling them with fruit or a mixture of ricotta cheese, sugar and vanilla. Makes a nice light tasting dessert crepe.
How to Make Chicken Crepes With Asparagus
(detailed instructions in recipe card below)
- Combine flour, milk, eggs, butter and salt. Mix until well-blended.
- Cook crepes according to directions.
- Combine the cubed chicken, ricotta cheese, ½ c. parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and 1½ tablespoons of the parsley. Set aside.
- Saute green onions in butter until tender. Add asparagus pieces and saute until tender.
- Add chicken broth, lemon zest and the remainder of the parsley. Saute for 5 minutes. Add Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Place about 13 cup of filling on each crepe, roll and place seam side down in your casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Place 1-2 crepes on a plate to serve. Top with asparagus/sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and lemon slices if desired.
What to Serve With Chicken Asparagus Crepes
How to Store And Freeze Chicken Crepes
Chicken Crepes can be stored in the refrigerator, tightly covered for about 5 days. To freeze, store, single layer in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, allow to thaw and reheat, covered in the microwave or in the over at 300 degrees until heated through.
Can I substitute something for the ricotta cheese in the recipe?
Yes, cottage cheese works as a good replacemet for ricotta cheese. Ricotta cheese is drier than ricotta cheese. Be sure to drain most of the liquid before using.
What can I use instead of the homemade crepe shells?
You can use storbought crepes. Sometimes they are hard to find in the store. You could also use burrito shells but the crepe shells are softer and more tender.
Recipe For Chicken Crepes With Asparagus
- 9×13 baking pan
- crepe pan
- cutting board
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (melted)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large cooked chicken breasts/cubed (boneless and skinless) Can also use a store- bought rotisserie chicken.
- 1½ cups ricotta cheese (can use small curd cottage cheese, well-drained)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions (diced)
- 1 pound asparagus (cut into approx. 1-inch pieces)
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ⅛ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- In a bowl, combine flour, milk, eggs, butter and salt. Mix until well-blended and lump-free.
- Spray an 8-inch skillet with a non-stick cooking spray. Heat on burner until hot. Lift from burner and pour in ¼ cup of the batter, tilting and swirling pan until the batter is spread out. Return to burner and cook until top is looking dry and bottom is lightly browned. Turn out onto a platter and continue cooking all the batter.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a bowl, combine the cubed chicken, ricotta cheese, ½ cup parmesan cheese, 1½ tablespoons each of the chives and parsley, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet. Saute green onions until tender. Add asparagus pieces and saute until tender.
- Add chicken broth, lemon zest and the remainder of the chives and parsley. Reduce down until slightly thickened. Add parmesan cheese and stir.
Bake and Assembly
- Spoon ¼ to ⅓ cup of the chicken filling onto the lower half of each crepe. Roll up each crepe. Place in your 9×13 baking dish, seam side down. Cover with foil and bake for approx. 15 min.
- Place 1-2 crepes on each serving plate. Top with asparagus/sauce, then top with parmesan cheese.