Easy Flavor Filled Texas Twinkies Recipe
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Prepare a savory appetizer with a bit of a kick when you prepare these delicious Texas Twinkies. This simple, frustration-free recipe will blow you away.
Make a truly impressive appetizer that will keep your loved ones coming back for seconds and thirds. The crispy, crunchy, and super flavorful Texas Twinkies will be the star of the show at any family gathering.
If you’re looking for the perfect impressive appetizer to prepare for family and friends, try these Texas Twinkies. They’re savory, a bit spicy, and absolutely flavorful, making them great for eating on their own or even dipping in your favorite sauce, such as ranch or honey mustard. Once you prepare such a flavorful appetizer, don’t be surprised when your family and friends request these Texas Twinkies for every special occasion and event!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe for Texas Twinkies
- You won’t need too many ingredients to prepare this recipe, making it that much easier to assemble.
- The Texas Twinkies are bursting with flavor from the different ingredients used to make them, such as cream cheese, brisket, and bacon.
- These are the perfect finger food for parties, family gatherings, and so much more.
- Can be made ahead and frozen.
- Jalapenos – Grab eight jalapenos, remove the seeds, and slice them down into pieces.
- Thick Cut Bacon – You will need eight slices of thick-cut bacon for these Texas Twinkies. A piece of bacon goes great on this recipe. Have you ever used homemade bacon? If not, give it a try! Your taste buds will thank you!
- Cream Cheese – Allow your cream cheese to sit out and reach room temperature. The cream cheese mixture really makes this recipe yummy! Cream cheese filling is a must have ingredient for this recipe!
- Smoked Brisket – Chop your brisket into pieces or shred it down, whichever you prefer. Chopped brisket, tender brisket, or even leftover brisket from another meal work great on this recipe.
With just four ingredients, you can make the most delicious Texas Twinkies you’ve ever tasted.
Optional additional toppings: jalapeno poppers, a slice of bacon (smokey), pepper jack cheese, sweet bbq sauce, and Monterey jack cheese.
Additions and Substitutions
- Try adding in some diced onion, diced sun-dried tomatoes or a small amount of horseradish to the cream cheese mixture.
- Dip the assembled Texas Twinkies into some egg and coat with bread crumbs before baking.
Recipe Notes for Texas Twinkies
- When picking out the jalapenos to use for this recipe, go with the biggest you can find!
- Use a paring knife to remove all the excess seeds from your jalapenos.
- You can prepare the Texas Twinkies in a smoker or your oven, depending on which you prefer. If you don’t have a smoker, feel free to pop these in the oven and cook them at 400 degrees F for up to 30 minutes.
Which type of cream cheese do I need to use for the Texas Twinkies?
Use the block style cream cheese, not whipped or soft versions. You can use either full-fat or low-fat cream cheese.
Can I use another kind of meat other than brisket?
Absolutely. Pulled pork or smoken chicken will work equally well.
What kind of dipping sauce should I serve with Texas Twinkies?
You can serve all kinds of dips on the side with your Texas Twinkies, such as horseradish dip, ranch, salsa and even melted cheddar cheese.
What to Serve With Texas Twinkies?
How to Make Texas Jalapeno Poppers
(Complete instructions in recipe card below)
- Trim the tops off the jalapenos.
- Clean out the seeds.
- Rinse under cold water.
- Stuff halfway with cream cheese.
- Fill rest with shredded brisket.
- Wrap with bacon and secure with toothpicks.
- Cook in oven or smoker.
How to Store and Freeze the Recipe
This tasty appetizer and be store in the refrigerator for about a week in a covered container. If you prefer to make in larger batches or make ahead of a picnic or gathering, store in an airtight container in single layers. Place sheets of parchment paper between each layer.
They will freeze well for about three months. When ready to serve, allow to thaw and reheat in a 325 degree oven.
- paring knife
- 8 jalapenos sliced and de-seeded
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 12 tablespoons cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 cups smoked brisket (chopped or shredded)
- Start by preparing your jalapenos. When selecting your jalapenos at the store, just like they say in Texas “bigger is better”!
- I trim the top of the jalapeno off. Next, using a sharp pairing knife, slice a straight line down the backside of the jalapeno (it’s often the flat part). Using your fingers spread the jalapeno open.
- Grab your pairing knife and carefully de-seed the jalapeno. This is where all the heat is. If you want to leave the jalapeno a little spicy, leave the white rib portion and remove the seeds.
- Rinse your jalapenos under water to clean them and rinse any seeds away.
- Using a knife stuff half of the inside of the jalapeno with cream cheese. Ensure there is enough as this will help the brisket stick to and keep in tact.
- Once the jalapenos have been stuffed with cream cheese it’s time to add the brisket. Take your shredded or chopped brisket and stuff each jalapeno.
- On a flat surface, lay out a slice of thick cut bacon.
- Beginning at one side, secure the bacon to the jalapeno with a toothpick. Wrap the jalapeno with the bacon and secure the other end with another toothpick.
- When all of the jalapanos have been wrapped in bacon it’s now time to cook them. You can choose to cook them in the oven or the smoker.
- OVEN COOKING: Preheat your oven to 400°. Place the Texas Twinkies on a baking sheet (preferably on a wire rack with a baking sheet under to catch the drippings), this will allow the bacon to crisp up nicely. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the bacon has cooked through and done to your liking.
- SMOKER COOKING: Preheat your smoker to 275°. Place the Texas Twinkies directly on the wire rack. Allow to cook for 60-90 minutes, until the bacon has cooked through.