Easy Instant Pot Crack Chicken Chili
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Crack Chicken Chili is the perfect recipe when you get a craving for chili but want something different. It can be hard to find a version that’s wholesome and delicious. That’s why we created this Crack Chicken Chili recipe in the Instant Pot. It’s packed with wholesome ingredients and is so easy to make. This chicken chili recipe is perfect for busy weeknights, and it’s also an excellent way to use up leftover or frozen chicken from another meal. You might think of chili as something you make in the fall or winter, but trust us—this instant pot crack chicken chili recipe is perfectly suited for anytime you want a quick delicious meal.
What is Crack Chicken Chili
Crack chicken chili is a modified version of classic chili. It contains chicken, beans, tomatoes, and lots of spices. Most people find it addictive and love the flavor. There are variations to the recipe, but normally it contains chicken, beans, tomatoes and spices. You can then add your own twist by using different types of beans, spices and even meats.
Many people love to make the classic version and then add their own twist to it. This recipe is great if you are looking for a change from traditional chili. If you are a fan of the classic, then this is a great way to mix things up and try something new. It’s also a good recipe to make when you want to use up leftovers or try something that’s easy and also quick since it’s made in the Instant Pot.
Why Make Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is a perfect machine for making chili. It seals in all the flavors and spices, so you can truly taste the chili’s greatness. In fact, chili is the most popular recipe to make in the Instant Pot! The Instant Pot is a pressure cooker that’s become very popular in recent years. It’s super-convenient, and makes a lot of different types of meals (including chili!) fast and easy. Perfect for game nights or when the family is running in different directs and needing to get a delicious and nutritious meal fast.
Ingredients for Crack Chicken Chili (amounts in recipe card below)
- chicken breasts – boneless skinless and trimmed of fat
- black beans – Use unsalted beans or rinse salted ones so you are able to control the saltiness of the recipe.
- green chiles – can use mild or hot according to taste
- bacon – cooked, drained and crumbled
- ranch seasoning – this is usually found in the sald dress aisle as fried dressing mix. Adds flavor and creaminess.
- chili powder – Get a good quality chili powder. It does make a difference.
- onion powder
- chicken broth – Can use low sodium or fat-free is desired.
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese – shredded. I prefer extra sharp.
How to Make Crack Chicken Chili ( full directions in recipe card below)
- Cook up your bacon, drain and crumble.
- Add all ingredients to the instant pot except for the cream cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Close lid, seal and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Quick release, remove chicken to cutting board and set aside.
- Set instant pot to saute mode, shred chicken and add back into pot.
- Add in cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Stir until cheeses are melted.
- If you prefer a thicker chili, stir in cornstarch/water slurry.
Additions and Substitutions
- Use fresh tomatoes if you have them.
- Add or substitute your beans. Pinto beans or white beans are good options.
- Change out your cheese if you like. Pepper Jack cheese is a good choice.
- Sprinkle in some hot sauce if you like a bit more heat. I personnaly think this adds to the flavor.
- You can change out the chicken for turkey, pork or ground turkey or ckicken if you like.
- Add more of the cumin and chili powder for more spiciness.
What to Serve With Cream Cheese Crack Chicken Chili Recipe
Honey Jalapeno Cornbread is so delicious with Crack Chicken Chili. Serve up some Fresh homemade salsa with tortilla chips. Or, serve a side of Cilantro Lime Rice.
How to Store and Freeze White Chicken Chili
Crack Chicken Chile can be stored in your refrigerator in covered containers for up to 5 days. If freezing, be sure to store in airtight containers and the chicken chili will be good for about 3 months. When you want to serve, thaw in the refrigerator or on your counter, then either reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
How do you make chicken chili thicker?
Make a slurry of 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Stir into the chili to thicken.
What is the difference between regular chili and white chicken chili?
Regular chili typically is more tomato base whereas white chicken chile has chicken broth as a base. Also, although regular chili can contain different meats, it usually has beef as the meat. Obviously, chicken chili has chicken or another white meat.
Recipe for Crack Chicken Chili
Instant Pot Crack Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot
- ½ pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 15 ounces black beans (canned or cooked) drained
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn (drained)
- 15 ounces canned tomatoes (drained)
- 4 ounces can diced green chilis (drained)
- 6 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1 ounce packet ranch seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese (cubed and softened)
- ⅔ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (+1 tablespoon cold water to thicken if necessary) optional
- Add to your instant pot your chicken breast, black beans, corn, canned tomatoes, green chili, Bacon, ranch seasoning, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour in your chicken broth.
- Close the lid on your instant pot and close the ceiling valve by pushing the valve away from you. Select pressure cook for 15 minutes.
- Once your instant pot has finished cooking, do a quick release by bringing the valve toward you to release all the pressure.
- Remove the chicken breast from the instant pot to a cutting board. Set aside.
- Select cancel on your instant pot, and then select sauté mode.
- While your instant pot is heating up to sauté mode, shred your chicken breasts. One shredded, add to your pot.
- Add your cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Mix well until completely melted.
- If you desire a thicker chili, you can mix together the cornstarch and water in a separate small bowl to create a slurry. Once mix together, add to your pot and mix with the rest of the ingredients.