We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Pumpkin Spice Cookies – YUM! There’s nothing quite as comforting as a freshly baked cookie. And there’s no better time to make them than right now! It’s officially autumn, which means it’s time to crack open some cozy spices and get baking. Soft, spiced and slightly sweet pumpkin cookies are just what we need to embrace cooler temperatures. These cookies are soft, tender and bursting with spicy pumpkin flavor. The cream cheese frosting adds an extra touch of creamy sweetness without being too cloying or overbearing. Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect fall treat that you can enjoy again and again (and again).
IN A HURRY? CLICK ON THESE LINKS TO TAKE YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.
Why You Will Love These Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- These cookies are the perfect combination of soft and tender
- The cream cheese icing is not too sweet, but a perfect compliment to the pumpkin flavor in the cookies.
- These soft pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting are the perfect fall treat.
- They are super simple to make and the only real effort is waiting for the cookies to bake.
- Perfect snack or warm and spicy Fall dessert.
Tips for Making Soft and Moist Pumpkin Cookies
- Choose the right pumpkin – You want to use Pumpkin Puree. It should be labeled as “pure pumpkin.” The one labeled “pumpkin pie filling” is sweetened and has other ingredients added to make it taste like pumpkin pie.
- Don’t skimp on the spices – Pumpkin spices are subtle and shouldn’t be overpowering. Make sure to use fresh spices and avoid using ground spices that are more than a year old. Older spices lose there potency. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can make it yourself by mixing cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- Use the right flour – Pumpkin cookies are meant to be soft and tender. If you use a strong, bread flour, your cookies will be more like mini pumpkin bread loaves. Make sure to use all-purpose flour for best results.
- Be sure to allow the cookies to cool completely before icing.
Suggested Additions to Pumpkin Spice Cookies Recipe
- Add raisins, dries apple bits or dried cranberries to your batter for an extra touch of sweetness. Any of these will compliment the pumpkin flavor.
- Add in chopped nuts to give your pumpkin cookies a bit of crunch and texture.
- Chocolate chips can be added to the cookie batter because, well because chocolate makes everything better!
Storing and Freezing Homemade Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Icing
If you plan on storing these cookies for a longer period of time, make sure to use insulated containers that maintain their moisture content. This will keep the cookies soft and moist for longer. Cookies should be stored in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese icing. The cookies should store well for 5-7 days.
If you want to make more cookies than you need, you can freeze the leftovers. To freeze cookies, let them cool completely, then transfer them to a large freezer bag. You can store them in the freezer for up to 6 months. To thaw the cookies, place them in the fridge overnight or on the counter for a few hours.
You can freeze the uncooked dough by forming it into balls. Place the balls on a baking sheet in the freezer until solid, then transfer to an airtight container. The dough balls can be frozen for up to six months. When you are craving a warm spicy pumpkin cookie, remove the dough balls from freezer, lay them out on a cookie sheet to thaw, then bake.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Vanilla Extract
- Pumpkin Puree
- All- Purpose Flour
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Icing
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Cookies With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat butter until fluffy.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Mix till combined.
- Mix in egg, vanilla and pumpkin puree.
- Mix in flour well.
- Scoop and bake. I like to use my cookie scoop for this to keep the cookies even and well-formed. Press down lightly with your fingers or the back of a spoon. Also, I highly recommend you invest in a good baking sheet and use parchment paper to make removal of the cookies and cleanup easier.
- Mix together butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix well. Spread on completely cooled cookies or use a piping bag.
What to Serve With Soft Pumpkin Cookies
Recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Soft Pumpkin Spice Cookies With Cream Cheese Icing
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Cream Cheese Icing
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, beat the 1 cup butter with anelectric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt,cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice; beat until combined.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree;beat until combined.
- Add the flour; mix well.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto an ungreased, parchment lined baking sheet to form 18 cookies. Bake at 350 for 11-12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the baking sheet andcool to room temperature on a baking rack.
- To make the frosting, beat together the ½ cupbutter and 8 ounces cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the vanillaextract and powdered sugar and beat until well combined.
- Frost the completely cooled cookies generouslywith the cream cheese frosting.