We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Southwest Chicken Wraps are a delicious and easy meal to make. Southwest food is rich with flavor and spice. It also happens to be notoriously healthy. The combination of lean protein, fiber-rich veggies, and spices such as cumin and chili powder make for a wholesome meal that tastes like something your abuela would make after a long day in the fields.
If you love the flavors of the Southwest but don’t want to spend all your time slaving over a hot stove, these simple chicken wraps are the perfect solution. They’re quick enough to throw together at home on any busy weekday afternoon, and perfect to serve at you next game night. In other words: They have all the best parts of Southwestern food without sacrificing an ounce of convenience or taste. For more recipes with a southwestern flavor, try our Easy Crescent Taco Ring, Easy Instant Pot Crack Chicken Chili or Best Moist Honey Jalapeno Cornbread Recipe.
Why you will Love These Southwest Chicken Tortilla Wraps
- Quick and easy to prepare with readily available ingredients
- Tastes amazingly fresh and delicious
- Kids love them
- Can use leftover chicken for an even faster meal
- Includes healthy ingredients
- Budget friendly
If you love chicken meals, be sure to try out our Easy Instant Pot Crack Chicken Chili, Cook a Perfect Instant Pot Roast Chicken or Carrabbas Chicken Bryan Copycat Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Recipe
Additions and Substitutions
- Guacamole: If you’re looking for a healthy fat that can take your wraps to the next level, guacamole is your best bet.
- Add or substitute a different bean, such as pinto, kidney or white beans.
- Substitute a low or no fat sour cream for an even healthier meal.
- Add some black olives, chopped onions or fresh tomatoes.
- Switch out the tortilla for a whole wheat tortilla or a spinach tortilla.
- We used Monterey Jack cheese but cheddar is also good. Maybe do a combo.
Tips for the Perfect Southwest Chicken Wraps
- If you like a bit more heat in your wraps, kick it up by sprinkling some hot sauce onto the filling before wrapping it up.
- TOPPING IDEAS – Some extra sour cream and cheese on top is amazing. You could even put the wraps under your broiler for a couple minutes to melt the cheese if you like.
- STORAGE AND FREEZING – It is best to store your chicken wraps deconstructed in the refrigerator. Store the mixed filling in an airtight container and you can keep the tortilla on the counter, tightly wrapped. FREEZING – You can tightly wrap and freeze the chicken wraps for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, remove from freezer, thaw and heat in 350 degree oven until warmed through.
What to Serve With Southwest Chicken Wraps
Ingredients for Southwest Shredded Chicken Wraps
(measurements of ingredients in recipe card below)
- shredded chicken – You can boil or broil the chicken or if you have some leftover chicken, just use that. Or, pick up a rotisserie chicken from the market. This southwestern chicken wraps recipe is so versatile. Just one of the reasons you will love it so much.
- corn – canned or frozen
- black beans – canned, drained. Or substitute with a bean of your choice.
- fresh spinach
- red bell pepper
- Monterey Jack cheese – feel free to substitute or add cheddar cheese
- taco seasoning
- sour cream
How to Make Southwest Shredded Chicken Wraps
Recipe for Southwestern Shredded Chicken Wraps
Southwest Shredded Chicken Wraps
- 3 cups chicken (cooked and shredded)
- 1 cup corn kernels (canned or frozen thawed)
- 1 cup black beans (canned,drained and rinsed)
- 4 cups fresh spinach (coarsely chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 tortillas (burrito size)
- In a large bowl, toss together the chicken, corn, black beans, spinach, bell pepper, and cheese until equally mixed.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together the taco seasoning, salsa, and sour cream. Add the combined dressing to the chicken mixture and toss until blended.
- Divide the mixture and place a portion in the middle of one tortilla. Roll the burrito, tucking the sides, until completely rolled up.
- If desired, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.