We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are the perfect addition to any holiday party. If you’re looking for a simple treat that’s quick to make and great for gift-giving, look no further than this simple recipe for peppermint fudge cookies. They also make great gifts to give to friends or coworkers during the upcoming holiday season if you don’t mind being known as “that person who gives really cool gifts.” Purchase some pretty cello bags and ribbons to tie up 4-6 of these fudgy cookies. Or, pack up a dozen or so in a festive tin. These Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are also great to make for a Valentine’s Day treat or really anytime you crave chocolate.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are perfect for Christmas. Delicious to eat while putting up the tree or to include in a cookie exchange. If you love chocolate desserts, try our Festive Chocolate Peppermint Cake Roll, Easy Toffee Chocolate Covered Popcorn orInstant Pot Hot Chocolate Cheesecake With Marshmallow Topping.
IN A HURRY? CLICK ON THESE LINKS TO TAKE YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.
Why You Will Love These Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Easy to make
- Everyone LOVES chocolate
- Perfect to give as a thoughtful food gift for friends, family, teachers
- Can make ahead and pull out anytime you need a chocolate mint fix
- Great dessert to take for get-togethers
Equipment and Tools Used
Tips For Making The Perfect Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Make sure your butter is room temperature.
- Use quality ingredients. I use Hersheys Cocoa and real butter for the cookies and a good chocolate, such as Ghiardelli, Hersheys, Nestles or Bakers for the Ganache.
- This recipe makes 14 large cookies using a 2 ounce cookie scoop. If you want more but smaller cookies, use a 1 ounce scoop.
- When baking, watch your cookies carefully to avoid over-cooking. Better to be a little on the soft side and they will continue to cook a bit when removed from the oven.
(measurements in recipe card below)
- butter – room temperature
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar use the light brown variety
- egg yolk
- peppermint extract
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- cocoa powder
- additional granulated sugar for rolling the baked cookies before adding the filling
Ingredients for Chocolate Ganache Filling and Topping
(measurements in recipe card below)
- semi-sweet chocolate
- heavy cream
- vanilla extract
- peppermint candies
Variations And Substitutions
- Add in some white or dark chocolate chips to the cookie dough.
- The addition of 2 teaspoons espresso powder will enhance the chocolate flavoe even more.
How to Make Filled Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Full measurements and instructions can be found below in the printable recipe card.
- PREPPING PAN AND OVEN – Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- MIXING THE WET INGREDIENTS – Cream together the butter and brown and granulated sugars until light and fluffy. Add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla and peppermint extracts. Mix well until combined.
- MIXING IN DRY INGREDIENTS – Add in cocoa powder, baking soda, flour and salt. Mix just until combined.
- FORMING COOKIES – Using a 2 ounce scoop if you want larger cookies or a one ounce if you prefer smaller cookies, fill scoop and roughly form into a ball. Roll each ball into the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and place on the prepared baking sheet. Press your thumb or the back of a spoon into each cookie to form an indentation for the chocolate filling. Chill the unbaked cookies on pan for about 20 minutes.
- BAKING – Bake the cookies on the center rack of oven for 4 minutes, then turn pan and continue baking for 4 more minutes. If the indentation in the center of the cookies has lost their shape, press the back of a spoon back into them to reform.
- COOLING – Remove cookies from oven and cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then remove cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Chocolate Ganache Icing And Topping
- MELT – Melt chocolate, cream and and vanilla extract in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave in 15 second increments until fully melted. Stir between each 15 seconds.
- CHILL – Chill chocolate miture until it thickens.
- WHIP – Whip the chilled ganache with a mixer until fluffy.
- PROCESS – Process the peppermint candies in your food processor until finely crushed.
- FILL – Fill each indentation on the cookies with the chocolate ganache either by piping or using a spoon. Sprinkle tops of each cookie with the crushed peppermint candy.
What to Serve With This Minty Fudge Cookie
- Crockpot Hot Chocolate Rich Creamy Delicious
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken Pinwheels
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole
How to Store and Freeze Chewy Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
These are really the best chewy chocolate peppermint cookies, so you will likely want to make extras to store or freeze. They can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for about a week.
If you want to freeze chocolate mint cookies, seal them in an airtight storage container and they will keep for 3 months. When ready to enjoy your cookies, simply bring out of the freezer and allow to thaw either in the refrigerator or on your countertop.
Recipe for Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 9 tablespoons butter (softened)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar (for rolling dough balls)
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate bar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candies
- Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg, egg yolk, peppermint and vanilla extracts and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make balls out of 2 tablespoons dough each. Roll balls in the remaining ½ cup sugar. and place on the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Make a deep cavity in each cookie, using your thumb or the back of a measuring spoon.
- Chill cookies on baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake cookies on center rack of oven for 4 minutes, rotate baking sheet, then bake for an additional 4 minutes. If the indentations have lost their shape, push your thumb or measuring spoon in again to remake.
- Cool in pan for about 10-min. then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Place chocolate, cream and vanilla extract into microwave-safe dish and microwave in 15-second increments, until melted. Stir with each 15-second increment. Chill until mixture thickens.
- Either spoon or pipe ganache into each cookie and immediately sprinkle with crushed peppermint.