We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Add a touch of sweetness to cake, ice cream, and other sweet treats with this Easy Caramel Topping Sauce. With just five ingredients and a little bit of your time, you will have a fresh, flavorful sauce ready to enjoy.
When preparing an ice cream sundae, do you love adding a bit of Caramel Sauce on top to give it that special touch? Caramel has such a naturally delicious flavor, making it the perfect addition to ice cream and other sweet treats, including cakes, cupcakes, brownies, and more.
Rather than using the bottled kind full of preservatives and other unknown ingredients, you can prepare this Easy Caramel Topping Sauce from scratch. It won’t take much time or effort to assemble something worth having readily available to you, especially if you have a sweet tooth.
Why You’ll Love This Caramel Topping Sauce
- This Easy Caramel Sauce takes minutes to prepare, which is incredibly convenient.
- It has the perfect taste! The perfect combination of silky smooth texture and butter rich flavor.
- You can do so much with this Caramel Sauce, whether adding it on top of your favorite ice cream or even drizzling it over a slice of cake. Also, makes an awesome caramel dipping sauce for apples or pretzels.
Suggestions for Using Caramel Topping Sauce
- Pour over some Homemade Ice Cream.
- Use it as a dipping sauce for sliced fruits, pretzels or cookies.
- Try this recipe for Homemade Amish Peanut Butter Spread with Cinnamon Sugar Pita Crisps and either substitute the Carmel Sauce for the Peanut Butter Spread or use it in addition to it to dip the Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Pita Crisps.
- Add a spoonful of the caramel topping to your coffee or tea for a delightful sweet treat.
- Try mixing some chopped nuts or chocolate chips into the chilled caramel.
This recipe does not equire many tools to make. A heavy bottom saucepan will help to keep the caramel from burning. A heat-resistant spatula will help scrape every delicious bit of the caramel from the pan. A wooden spoon for stirring. You will need a container for storing the caramel topping sauce. I like to use mason jars. They are inexpensive and you can reuse them for so many purposes, like storing pantry items of as a farmhouse style vase for fresh flowers.
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe
Can I use this sauce while it’s still hot?
While it may be tempting, it’s best to allow your Caramel Sauce to sit in the fridge and cool completely. Cooling will help to thicken the caramel. Once it has cooled, you can add it to anything or even heat it up in the microwave if you want warm caramel sauce on cookies, cakes, ice cream, and more. You can use a wooden spoon to put the caramel sauce on the items that you’re coating.
How do I store the easy caramel topping recipe?
The best way to store this sauce is to pour it into a mason jar with a lid. Be sure to seal it shut and keep it in the fridge to preserve its freshness.
How to make Easy Caramel Topping Sauce
- Heat brown sugar, butter, salt and cream.
- Add vanilla and stir. Cook one minute more. Cool.
- Pour into jar and chill for about an hour.
Find the measurements and full recipe below!Jump to Recipe
How to Store Caramel Sauce
After your Caramel Topping is cooked it will need to be stored in the refrigerator. You can reheat it in the microwave when you want to use the sauce. It should last for several weeks under refrigeration.
Recipe For Caramel Topping
Caramel Topping Sauce
- heavy bottom saucepan
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Heat brown sugar, cream, salt and butter in heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Stirring occasionally to ensure it’s not burning. Be patient. This takes about 5-7 min.
- Whisk gently and then add the vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further. Turn off the heat.
- Cool slightly and pour the sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold.
If you’re not using WP Recipe Maker for your Recipes, then you’ll want to remove the shortcode above.