We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Instant Pot Roast Chicken is the perfect easy and delicious meal. And, because it is cooked in the Instant Pot, it is also quick to prepare. With its ability to sear and steam at the same time,the instant pot is the most efficient way to cook an entire chicken. Reducing the cooking time by up to 70%, an Instant Pot whole chicken is juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Even better, this method only takes 10 minutes of prep time!
Once you get used to your Instant Pot, it’ll become one of your favorite kitchen appliances. This fast-cooking gadget can help you make healthy meals with ease. Here are some great tips on how to cook a perfect roasted whole chicken in your Instant Pot.
Why You’ll Love Chicken Roasted in the Instant Pot
- You’ll get a perfectly roasted chicken with very little effort.
- The pot’s ability to steam the chicken will make it very tender. You can expect a juicy, tender chicken with crispy skin. No more dried-out, over-cooked chickens for you!
- The Instant Pot makes cleanup super easy.
- The Instant Pot also helps remove the cooking fats that can be deposited on the chicken’s skin during the cooking process.
- The pressure cooker will make the meat more tender. The pressure is created inside the device, which allows the chicken to cook quickly and evenly
- And, best of all, chicken roasted in the instant pot is so delicious!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Roast Chicken (exact measurements in recipe card below)
- whole chicken
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- butter – Use real butter for and amazing flavor.
How to Make Instant Pot Roast Chicken (full directions in recipe card below)
- Remove giblets
- Mix seasonings
- Pat chicken dry
- Season top of chicken
- Add water or broth to bottom of instant pot
- Place chicken in pot, seal pot
- Set to 33 minutes on high pressure
- Allow to release naturally
- Remove chicken to baking sheet, pat with butter
- Place under broiler for about 10 minutes, depending on how crisp you like it
- Remove and allow to rest before serving
Tips for Selecting a Chicken to Roast
- The best choice for a whole chicken in the Instant Pot is a young chicken with plenty of fat. The fat will help keep the chicken moist while it cooks, and it will also help to create a crispy skin.
- A “broad-breasted” chicken,is ideal. This is the most common type of chicken raised in the United States. You can typically find these chickens at your local grocery store.
- A younger chicken will cook more quickly than an older chicken. And, a young chicken will have a more tender texture. Older chickens can taste just as good, but you will need to add a few minutes to the cooking time.
How to Cook a perfect Roast Chicken in the Instant pot
- Don’t forget to add the water or broth into the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Cook your chicken doe the right amount of time. Your chicken should be 165 degrees when properly cooked. Invest in a good instant read thermometer for this. It is inexpensive and you will use it over and over. A rule of thumb is to cook for 6 minutes in the instant pot for each pound of chicken.
- Although the chicken will crisp up some in the instant pot, if you prefer a crisper chicken, make sure to place under the broiler after cooking in the instant pot.
Additions and Substitutions
- Try rubbing some butter and herbs under the skin of the chicken before cooking.
- Fresh herbs added to the water in the pot can add some nice extra flavor to your chicken. Try dill or rosemary.
- Add some lemon juice and/or zest to the water in the pot.
- If you want to cook vegetables, such as potatoes, carrots or onions, after you remove the chicken from the pot, place the veggies in, reseal and cook with the water still in the pot from the chicken. You will nees about 10 minutes on high for this.
What to Serve With Instant Pot Roast Chicken
How long does it take to cook chicken in the Instant Pot?
Cook a whole chicken on high in the instant pot for 6 minutes per pound of chicken.
Can you overcook chicken in Instant Pot?
es, if you cook it longer than 6 minutes per pound of chicken, the chicken could turn out tough and dry.
How do I select a chicken to cook in the instant pot?
Select a younger chicken with broad breasts
Recipe for Instant Pot Roast Chicken
Roasted Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot
- 5½ pound chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Remove the neck and giblets from the chicken.
- Mix all your seasonings together.
- Pat dry the chicken and season heavily across the top of thechicken.
- Add one cup of chicken broth or water to the bottom of yourinstant pot.
- Place your whole chicken on top of a trivet inside your instantpot.
- Set your instant pot to high pressure for 33 minutes.
- Let the instant pot naturally release.
- Remove chicken and place on a baking sheet.
- Slice butter into 5-6 squares and place on top of the chicken.
- Place chicken under high broiler for 10-15 minutes. Make surechicken is 6 inches or more under the broiler.
- Remove and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.