Amish Broccoli Salad has such a crunchy and creamy goodness. The fresh broccoli, mixed with cheese, bacon and boiled egg is combined with a creamy, slightly sweet dressing.
This easy homemade broccoli salad is the perfect dish to bring to a potluck or picnic. The fresh taste is amazing and a welcome alternative to the many heavy food recipes usually offered at a cookout. Quick to make at the last minute, this vegetable dish also is a great choice for a family meal.
What You Will Love About This Easy Broccoli Recipe
- Simple and quick to make
- Few ingredients that you will likley have on hand
- Stores well
- Can make ahead
Ingredients Needed to Make This Amish Salad
- Mayonaisse- Use a good quality mayonaisse. It does make a difference. I love Dukes Mayonaisse. I think it was originally a southern brand but available nationally now.
- Granulated Sugar
- White Vinegar
- Broccoli- (cut into bite size pieces) Make sure it is fresh and crisp
- Red Onion
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese- I like the extra sharp cheese but you can use the mild if you like
- Sunflower Kernals- These add an extra nice crunch to this Amish Broccoli Salad
- Bacon- (cooked and crumbled) The smoky flavor really enhances the flavor
- Boiled Eggs (chopped)
How to Make Amish Broccoli Salad
- Using a whisk, combine mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar until smooth to make the dressing
- In a separate bowl, combine the broccoli pieces, onion, cheese, sunflower seeds, bacon pieces, chopped eggs and cheddar cheese.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and stir until well-coated
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving
- Raisins are a nice addition to this recipe. Gives a little extra sweetness.
- Try adding some chopped fresh cauliflower. Cauliflower is an often added addition and adds to the nutritional value. You can either make a larger amount of the dressing or reduce the broccoli amount to assure good dressing to salad ratio.
- Asparagus, chopped in small pieces, is also a nice touch to this salad.
- Shredded carrots will add a bit of extra sweetness.
- Rememember, when adding any extra vegetables, to increase your dressing amount.
Dishes That Pair Well With Amish Broccoli Salad
- Ultimate Moist Tender Smoked Traeger Ribs
- Salmon in the Air Fryer Easy and Delicious in 15 Minutes
- Hamburger Patty Recipe
Can I use a substitute for the mayonnaise
Yes. Try substituting Greek Yogurt. Adds a nice tang to the recipe and lowers the calories in the dish.
How long can I store leftovers of the Amish Broccoli Salad
Leftovers can be stored, covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Amish Broccoli Salad
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 heads broccoli (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sunflower kernels
- 5 strips bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 3 hard boiled eggs (chopped)
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar until well combined. Set aside.
- Stir together the broccoli, red onion, cheddar cheese, sunflower kernels, bacon, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and stir until all the broccoli is coated.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.