We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Are you craving a zesty sweet treat? These Key Lime Crumbl cookies are the perfect deconstructed key lime pie alternative that can be served in elegant gatherings or casual get togethers.
This recipe only takes a little over an hour to put together and makes eight large cookies for the whole family to enjoy. With only a few steps, you can enjoy making key lime Crumbl cookies with your kids or quickly by yourself before dinner. With the crunchy delightful cookie base and creamy smooth lime filling, this handheld dessert is great for any occasion.
With a decadent cookie base and light tart filling, these key lime Crumbl cookies are the go to treat for any time of day. You can make these cookies in advance and keep them in the fridge for a few days or freeze them for up to three months and thaw them out when you are hankering for more. This dessert is sure to have people coming back for more and more.
IN A HURRY? CLICK ON THESE LINKS TO TAKE YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.
Why You Will Love These Key Lime Cookies
- Easy to make.
- Perfect decadent treat with the combination of sweet and tart.
- Stores and freezes well so you can make ahead to serve at your next get together.
Equipment You’ll Need
For this recipe you’re going to need a baking sheet, parchment paper to cover the baking sheet while it’s in the oven, a hand mixer or stand mixer to combine the ingredients, mixing bowls and spoons, as well as a cookie scooper to make dough balls.
Measurements in recipe card below.
- Unsalted Butter – You can use shortening but butter makes the cookies so much tastier.
- Sugars – Granulated, brown, and powdered sugars bring the sweet to this limey dessert.
- Large Egg – Bring to room temperature before adding to dough.
- Vanilla Extract – Amplifies the sweetness in the cookies.
- All-Purpose Flour – Or use your favorite gluten free flour.
- Dry Dough Ingredients – A mix of cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt.
- Crushed Graham Crackers – Adds a crunch to the outside of the dough to add a delicious twist.
- Cream Cheese – Room temperature. Balances the lime flavor.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – The base and thickener of the filling.
- Lime Juice – Brings more sweet lime flavor.
- Lime Zest – (Optional) Adds even more tart lime flavor to balance the sweetness.
Additions and Substitutions
- Swap out the crushed graham crackers for crushed oreos or chocolate graham crackers for an extra twist, add some cocoa powder on top to elevate the dessert even more.
- Garnish the tops of the cookies with some fresh raspberries or blueberries.
How to Make Key Lime Crumbl Cookies
Complete instructions in recipe card below.
- Preheat oven.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a hand or stand mixer mix butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla, and mix completely.
- Sift in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cornstarch until just combined.
- Divide dough into eight pieces. Form each piece into a ball, roll in crushed graham crackers and place on the lined baking sheet.
- Use the back of a tablespoon to make an indent in the center of each ball and bake.
- Remove from the oven and press each center with a quarter cup measuring cup and return to the oven for a few minutes.
- Remove from the oven to a cooling rack and let cool.
- While the cookies cool, prep the filling by whisking the cream cheese until smooth.
- Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cookies have cooled, fill the wells with a scoop of filling and transfer the cookies to the fridge. Allow the cookies to chill until the filling has set.
Can I make my Key Lime Crumbl gluten free?
Yes, change out the all=purpose flour for gluten-free and the graham crackers for a gluten-free variety.
What’s the difference between a regular lime and a key lime?
The big difference is the size and color; normal limes are slightly bigger and more tart than key limes. Key limes are usually more difficult to find in the grocery store. It doesn’t really matter which you use, try each kind and see which you prefer!
What does lime zest do for this recipe?
The zest of the limes are more tart than the juice and add more sour lime flavor that helps balance out the sweetness from the sugars and the cookie.
How to Store Leftover Key Lime Crumbl Cookies
Store leftover key lime Crumbl cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Add fresh whipped cream before serving or enjoy as is. Extra key lime Crumbl cookies can also be frozen for up to two months in an airtight container in single layers, separated by parchment paper. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
What to Serve With Your Key Lime Crumbl Cookies
- Serve with a dollop of Homemade Whipped Cream
- Serve alongside this Classic Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
- Perfect dessert after enjoying these Ultimate Moist Tender Smoked Traeger Ribs
Key Lime Crumbl Cookies
- ½ cup butter (unsalted)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (scooped and leveled)
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 graham crackers (crushed fine)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 3-4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream together butter and both sugars till light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and corn starch just until it come together.
- Using a large (3 tablespoon) cookie scoop, form the dough into 8 balls.
- Roll each ball into the crushed graham cracker and place on baking sheet.
- Using the back of a tablespoon, make indentations into each ball.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and press the back of a ¼ cup measuring cup into each cookie.
- Return to oven for 3 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- While the cookies are baking make the filling. Beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk.
- Add 3 tablespoons powdered sugar. If too thin, add more.
- Add lime juice, 1 teaspoon at a time until the right consistency. Filling should not be runny.
- Fill the well of each cookie.
- Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.
- Top with whipped cream and a lime slice.