We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
Easy Homemade Marshmallows? It’s true! Marshmallows are a pretty simple treat to make at home and a fun way to engage the kiddos in learning to cook. These fluffy little bites of sweetness can be whipped up at home with just a few simple ingredients and a bit of time.
Making your own homemade marshmallows is also the perfect way to add your personal signature on an already super sweet treat. From adding in your favorite spices to swapping out sugar for something more natural like maple syrup, you can customize these little guys exactly how you want them. And bonus: making your own homemade marshmallows also means you get to avoid all of those weird and unpronounceable additives found in store-bought varieties. Let’s get started!
Why You Will Love This Easy Homemade Marshmallows Recipe
- Easy to make
- Few ingredients – many you will have in your pantry
- Taste better than storebought
- Can customize to your taste
- No chemicals or preservatives
Ideas to Change up This Soft Marshmallow Recipe
- Add in some chopped nuts
- Add coconut to the recipe to add a tropical flavor
- Cut the marshmallows into fun shapes using cookie cutters
- A drop of food coloring adds a fun touch
- Add cocoa if you like chocolate.
- Add a small amount of cinnamon either to the mix or in the powdered sugar used for coating the pan,
Tips for Making Marshmallows at Home
- When whipping your egg whites, be sure to use a clean bowl with no grease or oil at all, as even a little bit of fat can prevent the egg whites from fluffing up.
- Be sure to use plenty of powdered sugar to coat your baking sheet. This will help your marshmallows release from the pan more easily once they are ready.
Ways to Use Your Easy Homemade Marshmallows
- Top a Sweet Potato Bread Pudding and heat in oven until melted and lightly browned.
- Add to your cup of Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
Gift Ideas Using Homemade Marshmallows
- Package some homemade marshmallows in a cute cello bag and tie with a festive ribbon.
- Make a cute gift basket and include some homemade marshmallows, candy canes, hot chocolate packets and a cute mug.
- Gather ingredients for your favorite recipe using marshmallows and place in a gift basket along with the recipe for that dish, and with a recipe card for Easy Homemade Marshmallows and the dish or pan to make the recipe.
Ingredients Needed to Make Easy Homemade (exact amounts in recipe card below) Marshmallows
- Unflavored Gelatin Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Corn Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Easy Homemade Marshmallows (detailed instructions in recipe card below)
- Sprinkle gelatin powder into 1/2 cup of water and set aside.
- In a large pot, combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt, and the remaining ½ cup of water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, until the candy reaches 250 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer.
- Pour the hot candy mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add gelatin mixture to candy mixture and beat with electric mixer until it hickens and turns white. Continue beating until the mixture doubles in volume.
- Heavily coat baking pan on bottom and up the sides with powdered sugar.
- Scoop marshmallow mixture into pan and spread evenly.
- Allow to set for 8 hours, then cut.
Easy Homemade Marshmallows Recipe
Easy Homemade Marshmallows
- 11×7 glass baking dish
- electric mixer
- medium pot
- candy thermometer
- 1 cup water (divided)
- 2½ tablespoons unflavored gelatin powder
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Pour ½ cup of the water into a small bowl.Sprinkle the gelatin powder into the water; stir, then set aside.
- In a large pot, combine the granulated sugar,corn syrup, salt, and the remaining ½ cup of water. Bring to a boil over mediumhigh heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, until thecandy reaches 250 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer.
- Very carefully, pour the hot candy mixture intoa large mixing bowl. Safety note: be extremely cautious to not splash the veryhot candy onto your skin!
- Add the gelatin and water mixture to the candy. Beatthe candy with an electric mixer (a stand mixer is preferable if possible),starting on low speed and gradually increasing the speed to high as the mixturethickens. When the marshmallow has thickened and turned white, add the vanillaextract. Continue to beat the marshmallow on high speed until it has more thandoubled in volume.
- Prepare an 11×7 inch glass dish by completelycovering the bottom and sides with powdered sugar. Use your fingers to pressthe powdered sugar up the sides of the pan. You’ll want every bit of the pan tobe coated in powdered sugar so that the marshmallow does not stick.
- Scoop the marshmallow into the pan prepared withthe powdered sugar. Use a lightly oiled spoon to smooth the marshmallow out,then sprinkle the top of the marshmallow generously with powdered sugar.
- Let set up in a cool dry place for 8 hours,
- Cut the marshmallow lengthwise into 5 longstrips, then cut each strip into 10 pieces to create a total of 50 marshmallowsquares. Roll each marshmallow in powdered sugar.
- Store marshmallows at room temperature in anairtight container.