We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post.
These sweet, delicious Banana Pudding Cups are the perfect dessert for a family dinner or for a party. Layers of sweet, creamy vanilla pudding, crispy vanilla wafer cookies and fresh bananas, combine for a treat no one can resist. When topped with homemade whipped cream, they are over the top awesome.
Traditional banana pudding has been a southern classic and a family favorite for years. These Banana Pudding Cups are a huge hit at summer parties because of the individual servings. For more banana desserts, try our Easy Instant Pot Bananas Foster Cheesecake, Banana Muffin Tops With Chocolate Chips or Best Strawberry Banana Cake With Whipped Cream Icing.
Why You Will Love Banana Pudding Cups
- individual cups are just the perfect size
- festive on a party table
- easy recipe to make
- can be made ahead
- perfect comfort food
Tools for Making This Dessert Recipe
- Milk – Be sure to use cold milk. You can use your milk of choice, such as 2% or whole milk, but the higher fat content in the milk, the richer your homemade pudding with taste. I like to use heavy cream or half and half in my homemade vanilla pudding.
- Ripe Bananas – Opt for a banana that is the perfect ripeness. Try to avoid an overly ripe banana as they will discolor faster and a fresh banana that is not quite ripe will lack the sweetness to give you the perfect banana flavor.
- Vanilla Wafers – I have tried generic brands before and I keep coming back to a namebrand cookie, such as Keebler or Nabisco Classic Nilla Wafers.The mini vanilla wafers work really well for these mini banana pudding cups. You may find a generic brand you like, but I haven’t.
- Vanilla Extract – Choose a good pure vanilla extract as opposed to the artificial vanilla extract for the best results.
Additions and Substitutions
- Use banana extract for a more intense banana flavor
- You could use another topping such as Cool Whip instead of the homemade whipped cream.
- Instead of the plastic cups, serve this classic dessert recipe in mason jars for a picnic or casual get together.
- Try a meringue topping instead of the whipped cream.
- Use a different cookie, such as shortbread cookies.
What to Serve With Banana Pudding Cups
- Ultimate Moist Tender Smoked Traeger Ribs
- Easy Homemade Chicken Crepes With Asparagus
- Rotisserie Chicken Wraps
How to Make Individual Banana Pudding Cups
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the milk. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the remainder for the milk, sugar and salt.
- Heat until the milk mixture is steamy but do not allow to come to a boil.
- While milk is heating, whisk egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Add a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks while whisking.
- Add egg yolk mixture and cornstarch into the milk in pan and whisk and heat over medium heat until the pudding mixture thickens and becomes creamy.
- Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla. Whisk to combine and allow to cool. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding as it cools to help prevent the creamy pudding from developing a skin as it cools.
- While pudding is cooling, mix the heavy whipping cream with a hand or stand mixer, adding the powdeed sugar as you mix. Mix until stiff peaks form.
Assembling the Individual Banana Pudding Cups
- Put the whipped cream and pudding in separate piping bags or you can simply spoon the whipped cream and pudding into the cups is you choose. The piping does look prettier, though.
- Place several cookies on the bottom of the cups. Place several sliced bananas on the cookies, then follow by a layer of pudding and a layer of whipped cream. Repeat this sequence, finishing with the whipped cream. Sprinkle some cookie crumbs on top or place a whole wafer on edge in the whipped cream.
Why do you add a small amount of hot milk into the egg yolks when making pudding?
The small amount of hot milk tempers the egg yolks. If you put all the milk into the egg yolks at one time, the egg yolks will cook and be lumpy.
How can I prevent skin from forming on hot pudding as it cools?
Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
Recipe for Banana Pudding Cups
Banana Pudding Cups
- Medium Saucepan
- dessert cups
- 3 cups milk (Can use whole, 2%, half and half or cream. The richer the milk, the richer the pudding.)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas
- 1 box mini vanilla wafers
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a small bowl whisktogether ¼ cup of milk and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan whisktogether the remaining milk, salt, and sugar. Allow the mixture to heat untilsteaming, do not let boil.
- While the milk heats, whiskegg yolks in a small bowl. Add a ¼ cupof the heated milk to the egg yolks while whisking. Then add egg yolks back to the milk andwhisk. Add the cornstarch mixture as well. Cook until thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat and addbutter and vanilla and whisk. Letpudding cool.
- Wisk the heavy whipping creamwith a mixer and add powdered sugar until stiff peaks are formed.
- Then put whipped cream in aplastic piping bag or use a ziplock baggy and cut the corner off.
- Put the pudding in a piping bag as well.
- Put a couple vanilla wafers in the bottom of the dessert cup. Then layer a slice of banana, pudding,and whip cream, and then repeat again ending with whipping cream on top.
- Crumble cookie on top for decoration.